Rhett had to go to baseball practice Saturday morning and into the early afternoon so Ly and I spent a little Mom/Daughter time together. For lunch we met Opa at Smokey's for some yummy BBQ. After lunch, Ly and I went back to Opa's house and Ly and I were able to spend some good, quality time with Opa. Rhett came over after practice and we decided to take a nice little walk down to "the back" (where the field, cows, and horses are). It was breezy and cool and on the verge of raining, but I just absolutely love taking walks. There's nothing more refreshing. Okay, okay...so maybe getting a facial is, but I think we all needed some good fresh air.
My cute girl...
Straws are always entertaining at restaurants...
Playing with blocks at Opa's
Saying "Hi" to Hondo with Opa...
Taking a stroll...
It was a bit chilly, but Ly was all bundled up...
Me and my sweet hubby. I am so thankful for him and that he loves me, even though I'm nuts...
COWS! MOOOOO! :)
"Walking" with Daddy
My loves.
Sunday we went to church and then lunch with Opa (yes again). After lunch, Rhett watched Ly for a little bit while I went to Books a Million. Every once and awhile I just need a little quiet alone time to decompress. I wanted to look at children's books for Lyla and I also wanted to read up on how the heck to get Ly to sleep through the night! I found what I was looking for and more! I ended up getting a "touch and feel" Elmo book for Lyla, it's called Good Night Elmo! She loves those soft, interactive books.
I also read Twelve Hours Sleep by Twelve Weeks: A Step by Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success by Suzy Giordano. Okay, so obviously Lyla is a little older than 12 weeks. We are starting a little late (just a little), but I was amazed at all the helpful information I found! I know it will work! I am so hopeful! The only thing is, we're going to have to start next Friday night because, as described in the book, retraining a baby's sleep patterns will probably take all night. I wish we could start tonight, but unfortunately Rhett and I have to both work in the moring. Here's the jist of what I found out:***She needs to get enough food during the day, whether by solid food, baby food, formula, or breatsmilk (approximately 4 meals during the day).
***She needs a routine (which we have) at night and that routine needs to consist of a bath, change in pj's, feed bottle, and then put down for bedtime in her crib (when she's tired, but not yet asleep). The putting to bed when she's tired thing is where we fail. We always rock her to sleep and then put her to bed, because we know if she's awake when we put her in her crib then she is not going to sleep.
***Here's the part I found interesting and so true: Everyone pretty much has the same sleep cycles of drowsiness, light sleep, deep sleep, and dream sleep (REM). When adults wake up from light sleep, they then essentially put themselves back to sleep. It's something you were trained to do and babies need the same training. It makes complete since. Lyla wakes up from light sleep and cries because she doesn't know how to put herself back to sleep. She needs us to soothe her and get her back to sleep. She needs to be "trained" to put herself to bed.
***What the books suggests is to start out with the routine mentioned above. Once Lyla is drowsy and tired, we should put her in her crib, say "night night", and walk out of the room. If she gets upset, count to 30 seconds, go back in, soothe her by rubbing her back until she's calmed down, say "night night", and then walk out again. What's going to be hard is that we're going to have repeat this process until she puts herself to sleep. Ultimately we could be up all night the first night we attempt this so that, my friends, is why we're waiting until Friday night to start this. The book said that she should get better and better at this each night, cry out for us less, and end up putting herself to sleep.
Wish us luck! :)
While at the bookstore, I also came across Mr. Darcy's Decision by Juliette Shapiro. Apparently, it (along with some more books by the same author) is a sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I was so excited to find it because I loved Pride and Prejudice and I always wondered what happened after Elizabeth and Darcy were married. Obviously it's not by Jane Austen, but I definitely think it's worth the read. I've started a little bit of it and so far, I'm enjoying it.
Lyla's 10 Months old! I am just in complete shock that she will be 1 in two months. Where has the time gone?! I really need to start planning her birthday. I am just not a party planner. I hate planning parties. However, since it is my baby girl's 1st birthday I want to of course do something fun and special for her! After this one, her parties will take place at Gymboree, Chuck E. Cheese, Dreamland, etc... :) So anywho, I'm not going to post a 10 month update because that's basically what I did in the post below. Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:
I LOVE that picture of her with her name spelled out in blocks. That is such a cute idea! She is definitely a cutie. Glad my baby J is not the only one who loves straws. ;o)
Good luck with the sleeping!!! Gettting her to sleep good now will def. pay off later. I have heard that their sleep patterns continue (if she is a good sleeper now, she probably will be when she gets older). Try putting something of yours in her crib with her (like a shirt). I have heard other moms swear by this when theirbaby is having a hard time sleeping at night without them! Hope it helps :o)
Hey my little love,
Little Lyla bug just keeps getting cuter and cuter! I also love the photos with her and her opa! She really has the BEST grandparents ever. She is a lucky girl! She also has an auntie Kristi in Africa who loves her very, very much!!!!
I will also be praying about the sleeping thing! I don't have a stinkin' clue what it is to be a mom, but I know how much I love my sleep! And it would be hard to be without it! ha!
I will try and call soon my heart. Just know how much I miss you and Lyla bug!!!
Post a Comment